Jun 10, 2022
Folks with invisible disabilities are often marginalized in our churches. "We don't know where to put them," Angie Alt says. She joins us this week to discuss her journey of living with chronic illness (3 autoimmune diseases) while also navigating her faith journey, and showing up as an activist in these challenging times.
Angie is author and co-author of the award-winning books The Alternative Autoimmune Cookbook and The Autoimmune Wellness Handbook. She created a groundbreaking series of online group health coaching programs which have helped thousands of people transition their diets and lifestyle to the Autoimmune Protocol. In 2015, Angie partnered with Mickey Trescott, FNTP at AutoimmuneWellness.com, an award-winning website serving millions with autoimmune disease annually.
In this episode we delve into -
- How living with chronic illness deepened Angie's sense of compassion and impacted her spiritually.
- Two core ways the church can show up for folks in their congregations who are living with invisible disabilities like autoimmune diseases.
- Angie's definition of community care, and the ways it intersects with social justice and self care.
- Being honest about the ebbs and flows of our faith journey and releasing shame.
- What it means to pray with your feet through chronic illness.
Additional Resources Mentioned -